Wednesday, January 27, 2010

UV damages

I find it interesting how difficult it seems that being able to track a connection between rates of skin cancer and the hole in the ozone layer. As the textbook noted, not only is the time delay between over-exposure to UV-B rays and the development of malignant melanoma 15-25 years but the lifestyle changes that have occurred over the past decade or so will make it incredibly difficult to know exactly how much the depletion of the ozone layer has will cause increased cancer rates. Hopefully the awareness of such dangers will cause people to increase their own protection against the harmful UV rays of the sun. I know that I have noticed sunscreens that are now protecting against both UV-B and UV-A rays, which will definitely be beneficial in decreasing the sun damage that people sustain. I know that I have been hounded from an early age to apply and re-apply sunscreen all of the time. In fact, my parents sent me off the San Diego Freshman year with about five bottles of SPF 70.

1 comment:

  1. Your comment about SPF 70 sunscreen(I didn't know that existed!) reminds me of my own parents. My mother, especially, believes that anything less than SPF 50 doesn't actually protect you from UV rays. Now, that's an interesting misconception.

    I agree with you about how lifestyle changes will make it difficult to determine to direct effects of the depletion of the ozone layer. That is an excellent point!

    ReplyDelete